Photos for Couples

Ladies - I have this theory...call me weird but I have this point of view on having professional photos taken of you (couples) before your engaged or married.  I think it was a thing I cooked up since 7th grade, when couples would start taking photos.

Every day I see all your blogs with these beautiful photos from your engagements, weddings, babies everything! I can't help but be envious and want to take amazing photographs to have framed and hung on my walls and posted to my blog.  Read more to find out my theory..

Here's my deal on this theory:


Scenario: A couple who is NOT engaged or MARRIED just DATING.  Get's ANY type of professional photos done.

Types of Photos: ANY type of photo that includes a professional photographer, a studio, one hour photos, a planned event where you wanted to get GOOD photos taken of you two together not taken by a friend.  I'm talking a real PHOTOGRAPHER.. 

Why I developed this theory: EVERYONE and I mean EVERYONE that I have ever known that has taken photos together before they got engaged or married has BROKEN UP! I'm totally serious about this. My honey took photos with his ex and hello... Ex? Yes I'm serious.

image via - This is actually one of my good friends Ron and his fiancee

Dilema:  Why do your care? Well I'm bringing this up to the blog world because a fabulous photographer out of Sacramento is offering mini sessions! For $65 dollars, for half an hour and you get one 8x10, and two 5x7's from the shoot.  I'm talking she's amazing. I've been eyeing all her photos for ages now.  (I'm not going to tell you who it is either because if I do decide to do this I don't want you stealing the dates and times available).
So I have a decision to make.. I really would love some professional photos of my honey and I but I still think this theory I have holds true. Maybe I should pass and instead take photos with my brother as gift for my mom that would be a good idea too.


Thoughts? I really haven't broken this theory of mine and I really do find it to be completely true. I haven't found anyone that has proven me wrong.

P.S. I should also stop looking up engagement photos, engagment proposals, weddings etc.

Although I might sound like I'm pouting, moody or all of the above, I had a fabulous 4 year anniversary! Thanks for all your sweet comments yesterday!

Plus Tara at Jimmy Choos and Tennis Shoes is hosting a giveaway for an awesome Dress and Accessory combo! The date I'd choose I could totally wear something fabulous she sends if I win! Go here to enter!

28 Lovely Notes:

Kelly said...

Ohhhh!! WOW, you have a point :-S I'd be nervous too... but not really sure what to tell ya, haha! What a great deal though. Greg and I have NEVER had professional pictures taken-- only wedding, didn't do engagement photos because we were poor college kids ;-) I think it would be soooo much fun!

Can you tell me to stop looking at baby photos and baby blogs? Makes my heart yearn soo badly for one, hahah ;-)

laura said...

Happy Anniversary!

And yes, sadly, both times I had professional photos taken we broke up...but I didn't have professional photos taken with a fiancée & we broke up too...

My husband & I did not have professional photos taken until our wedding day. Been married 16 years!

Miss Chelsea said...

You've made me nervous!
We had semi-professional (ha) photos taken on our cruise... and we're still together!

Ms. Emmy N said...

That's a tough one! I would say do it with your brother... your mom would love it! And you will get many opportunities for fabulous professional photos throughout your post-engagement life... but that's just me! :)

Brittany said...

If that's your theory, then I would definitely stick with it! You don't want to jinx yourself! I'd say go with your brother - it would be a great Christmas present for your mom :)

The Undomestic Mom said...

I dont think Ive ever known anyone to get professional pics who wasnt engaged or married so I dont know about your theory but that is a really good deal on the pics!!! If you do decided to get them done Im sure they will be fabulous!!!

Jenn said...

My hubs and I had professional pics taken before we were engaged! I love having nice pictures around the house, so I never thought twice about it. But then again, I also tried on wedding dresses before we were engaged.

My feeling is, if you know he is the one, having professional pictures isn't going to jinx it. Who knows, maybe he will propose during the photo shoot?!

Adrienne Gomer said...

Justin and I had professional pictures taken when we had been dating for only 2 months! we've been together for 8.5 years now (married for almost a year). I really don't think BECAUSE you get pictures taken, you won't end up together, that's silly.

Erika said...

I think it's a great idea! Caroline and Dan (Tinywater) are actually close family friends of ours and did our wedding/engagement photos:-) Small world! If you can get them for $65 that's amazing, I don't know if this is who you are talking about though;-) Have fun!

Annie said...

Jenn...you are too funny....but I understand where you are coming from!! Before my hubs adn I were engaged his mother wanted me in the family pictures...umm, hello....no ring on the finger, why would I be in the family pics. BUT, she insisted, so I had no choice...AND, we made it....still together :)

TLF said...

I totally agree with your theory!
I say skip the pics w/ the hunny and grab your bro.. You're mom will LOVE them! What Mom wouldn't??!!

Brittany Nolan said...

Here is my theory: give me your honey's phone number...i'll call him and tell him to propose! i'll arrange for the photographer to be there during the proposal...and then you can set up a time soon to get professional engagement pics done! ;)
happy 4 years! sounds like ya'll are going strong- if you decide to get pics done- I believe ya'll will stay together! :)

tara said...

DONT DO IT!!! do not get pics with your honey! i support your theory 100%.

Jen said...

Oh that is quite a theory but I sort of believe it! Take them with your brother; instant Christmas gift for mom!

Caroline said...

Happy 4 Year Anniversary! Those pictures your friend took are beautiful! I hate our engagement pictures. I wish we could do some now, but Fred doesn't want to. Bummer! If you get some done, I want to see!

Nicole Marie said...

i think you should get a ring put on your finger asap so you can use that promo for engagement shoot :)

Shelby Bukhenik said...

I don't think anyone I know has ever done a pre engagement shoot, but your theory would make me nervy!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

You guys have a house together right? I'd say he's in it and in it for the long haul. I have the same theory but with luxury vacations. it's like as soon as a really expensive vacation gets booked, I panic that we'll break up!

I say go for it though!

Lived With Love said...

Yeah i think you should know if he feels right or not! My dad is a photographer and took a nice photo of us which i LOVE! i think it may just be coincedence! i think it would be great to have them done, but its your call!

Lived With Love said...

ps Jenn at the bottom of your page it wont let you go 'previous posts' :( x

Jenna said...

Just found your blog! I think you should go ahead and go for it...Don't believe in stilly superstitions, Do what you want!! I think after four years, you guys will be just fine!! Happy Anniversary!

love jenny xoxo said...

I love professional photos, but they are expensive! or at least a lot are. And I think your theory seems pretty accurate, is that really a risk you wanna take?

My suggestion... find a friend who is an artsy, wanna-be photographer and have them take some cute photos of you (for free!). It is kinda nice to practice before you have to do the engagement and wedding photos because you figure out what you like.

But don't jump the gun and do a couple's shoot with a professional, save it for your engagement photos.

Meghan said...

I think you should follow your heart and do what makes you happy! Who cares what anyone else thinks?

Lindsey said...

hmm - I see both sides to this theory! but dang for that price and such a talented photog - I'd say go for it!! =)

Baby Momma said...

Maybe Honey will ask you to marry him before the photo session then you'd be engaged! haha

Smiling is Good for Your Teeth said...

So, what did you decide?!!

Katie said...

hahah Jenn funny post!! Steve actually brought up the idea of us getting photos done acouple months after our 1 yr. I mean I'd LOVE to have professional photos of us but I think I feel the same way. We arent engaged...nor planning on getting engaged soon... I mean theyll be beautiful to hang and show off but Im afraid to jinks anything... mmmm! what did you decide??

Danielle said...

Hahah you are NOT crazy, I have also had this theory since about 8th grade and it hasn't failed met yet. However, I think you and your honey are past the point of "dating" and are safe to take some pro pics :)

Newer Posts Older Posts Home