Want to know how to make this bad boy? I shall show you!
I headed over to Home Depot and hit the scrap bins. Found this piece of plywood it was unfinished but was about 33 inches tall by about hmmm 18 inches or so wide. I scored it for .50 cents!
I measured out how tall my board was and then figured out how many stripes I wanted on it next. Ended up with 6 stripes measuring out at 5.5 inches tall each. So I marked off my stripes and made pencil markings and then began to paint.
I wrote on the stripes which was which color so I wouldn't get confused while painting. Pink & White were my color choices. I just used the .89 or .99 cent paint from Michael's it's their craft paint.
Grabbed a foam brush and went to town. Since I used white I painted those stripes first because white is a hard color to paint on top of a dark color so keep that in mind. I didn't need to worry too much about making the white lines perfect as I was painting pink on the others and would tape it off.
I gave the board a few minutes to dry which was very quick indeed. I did two coats of white paint and also made sure to do the edges since you can see those when it was on display.
After the two coats of white paint was done. I taped off the stripes and went to town with the pink paint.
Also applied two coats of pink and made sure to again paint the edges.
Then once your stripes were dry I pulled off the tape and hoped for no bleeds!
Success!
My tape held and the lines were perfect!
On Pinterest I saw other boards similar to this but they had the days painted on.
I wanted mine to be universal so I picked up a wooden heart and then spray painted it with chalk board paint so that my bride could change up her days to go countdown. Then we could use it for various events with all her bridal showers and even on her wedding day!
Then I busted out my Cricut machine because as good as I am at free handing letters I wanted these to be perfect!
I used Lyrical Letters and picked a cursive font and then began the cutting of all the letters to read out "days till she's Mrs. Cruz"
After getting most of the way done I realized I should have kept the outside part of the die cut instead of the actual letters. But I wasn't going to re-cut everything.
I laid out all the letters and arranged them how I saw fit and then traced around each of the die cuts so I had a stencil to work with.
I used a sharpie paint pen with a fine point tip and colored each of them in. Then after about an hour or so I finally finished the coloring and filling in of all the letters. It was tedious work and I'm left handed so alot of work went into not smudging it all. But in the end it turned out beautiful!
Start to finish it took me about 2.5 hours to complete.
Total Cost: $7.50
.50 Cents Plywood Board
$2 for craft paint white and pink
$4 Sharpie paint pen
$1 for Wooden Heart
$1 for Chalk
Photo opportunity! PRICELESS!
Good luck! Hope you enjoyed the tutorial!!




4 Lovely Notes:
Very Cute! I am a fellow Northern California blogger and your newest follower!
This is seriously such a cute DIY. You can't beat that price, and what a great item for photos!
I seriously love it! I want one so bad to count down different things! Maybe I'll make a Christmas one?
Wow, turned out amazing and was cheap to do!!
Post a Comment